Is Kratom Safe?
In the entire history of Kratom use, which stretches back from the modern era over perhaps thousands of years, there has not been a single death reported with Kratom as the sole cause. This is a staggering and vital statistic.We don’t know how many people have used Kratom over the years, but it is certainly in the many millions.
First, let’s clear up the most important question. So Is A Kratom Overdose Possible? Is it even possible to overdose on a plant remedy like Kratom?No. The answer is no! Here are some reasons why…
- First and most important, Kratom is not an opiate.
True opiates can induce respiratory depression. This is actually the danger of both legal and illegal opiates.
- True opiates can have extremely depressive effects upon the human nervous system, and in the case of an overdose, can cause a person to stop breathing.
- Kratom’s naturally occurring alkaloids do interact with the same cell receptors targeted by opiates, but in a more soothing and calming fashion.
- Kratom alkaloids are known to act as healing agents for opiate addiction and dependency, and allow many addicts to detoxify their systems.
Second, Kratom has a so called ceiling effect, this is a built-in fail safe which prevents severe overdosing.
- With many traditional drugs such as opiates or alcohol for example, increasing the dosage amount, or dosing more often are used to escalate the desired effects. Kratom does not function this way in the body.
- With Kratom, dosing more often, and dosing with higher doses does not necessarily create additional positive benefits.
- Under normal conditions and responsible doses, Kratom does not generate strong side effects. However, with excessive dosage, side effects will increase. Dosing more often, or dosing with excessive quantities seems to exaggerate the side effects, with limited to no positive benefits. These side effects can include nausea, anxiousness, or strong lethargy.
- Thus, most users will avoid getting anywhere near an “overdose” simply because it will not be enjoyable in any way to approach those levels. The higher the dose above useful personal threshold, the more side effects will be experienced. This is contrary to what is generally encountered with other dangerous substances. This is the ceiling effect.
- Finding one’s personal optimal dosing strategy to maximize positive effects, and minimize side effects instead of chasing highs seems to be the best strategy. Used this way Kratom taken responsibly does not lend itself for an exaggerated need for escalating dosage and increased usage. If the need for increasing dosage happens, please investigate reducing tolerance and potentiation instead of increasing your dosage.
Finally, being a natural and reasonably safe product, any “overdose” a user may encounter will be simply a short term exaggeration of side effects. While uncomfortable and miserable, it will quickly dissipate. So, again by this measure, again the answer to whether a risk of overdose is possible, the answer is no.
Kratom can be safely and successfully enjoyed across a wide range of doses from very light to very intense, but all of these are very far away from a side effect-inducing overdose.
A History of Use
So how safe is Kratom?
There have been no known cases of overdose with plain Kratom leaf, however, theoretically there may be potential for overdose if one was to take a large dose of highly potent extracts, though no cases have been reported yet. One of the primary reasons that Kratom leaf is much safer in this regard is because of the ridiculous amount of plant material that would need to be consumed in order to overdose, and it would be nearly impossible to keep from vomiting it all up before the Kratom has been digested. Although it seems impossible to die as a direct result of leaf consumption, it still may be possible especially for individuals with previous unknown allergies or reactions. Used carefully and responsibly, Kratom is as safe as coffee or tea, with significantly more benefits.
When Kratom is taken by itself (without mixing it with other drugs), the greatest risk is falling asleep while engaged in hazardous activities.
- Use common sense.
- NEVER drive while under the influence of Kratom, even if you feel stimulated, rather than sleepy, for sleepiness may come on you without warning.
- Do not use power tools or climb ladders while under the influence of Kratom.
- Be careful not to leave a pot on a lit stove and then fall asleep.
- Pregnant women should not take any drug or medication except on medical advice.
- Since there have been no studies of the risks of Kratom use by pregnant women, it is not known whether it could cause birth defects or fetal death. We strongly recommend that any woman who could possibly be pregnant NOT use Kratom.
Mental safety and health
Side effects of using *any* mood altering substance are just that. Knowing that you have ingested a substance that can affect and effect the way you feel and think, even while not using them.Just because you are not a heavy or continuous user, doesn’t mean withdrawals cannot happen on a smaller scale. Mini withdrawals can happen any time your body or mind crave but don’t receive additional stimulation. These can manifest as any of the Mental / Emotional Symptoms of withdrawal.
But Is Kratom Safe?
In comparison to the powerful medicinal properties of Kratom, evidence seems to suggest that Kratom is quite safe. However, although it is safe, it is essential to be moderate and do thorough research on Kratom safety and dosage if using the plant at all in order to ensure health and happiness long-term.
To answer the question, is Kratom safe, the answer is yes! In comparison to other plants with similar effects, it is extremely safe, however, anything can be bad if put into the wrong hands.