Kratom Preparation – Traditional and Modern Methods.
Throughout the thousands of years Kratom has been used, preparation methods have remained relatively the same; here are some classic and some unique recipes and methods to fit our needs.
Basic Kratom Tea
Making Kratom tea is considered effective because of the quick onset of effects; however, it is not recommended to strain out the powder, one may lose the full spectrum of the leaf, reducing some medicinal potentials. We recommend drinking the tea including the powder.
- Boil the desired amount of water.
- Add desired Kratom dose to your cup. (Please see Kratom dosing guide for more information.)
- Pour boiling water over the Kratom and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add honey and/or milk to flavor.
- Drink the tea quickly for maximum befits and enjoy.
- Adding water to Kratom powder and freezing prior to making tea can increase the amount of alkaloids absorbed.
- Adding lemon juice, or small amounts of citric acid can also increase amount of alkaloids absorbed
- One can salvage the strained powder from tea and reuse it to ensure no alkaloids are wasted
Advanced Kratom Tea Recipes
Because some are more sensitive to the bitter taste of kratom tea, many tea recipes have been developed. One of the most effective we have seen for masking the taste of kratom is to mix it with a flavoring, or mixture.
One of the most effective kratom recipes we have found is what we have heard called “Speciosa Chai”. This method is very simple and is composed of a few simple steps:
- Condense kratom tea to 3-4 ounces
- Add 4-5 ounces of Chai tea mixture
- Add sugar & cream/milk if desired
There are a variety of different chai mixtures one can experiment with; however, the Tazo Organic Chai Black Tea mix is the favorite we have seen at an associated kava bar in our area.
Something that we have seen to be surprisingly effective at masking the taste are pump flavorings– especially the fruit-based flavorings. You can find these pump flavorings at local coffee shops or online for a very reasonable cost.
Toss and Wash Method
Add Your Heading Text Here
Another common method that has been more recently for those who don’t want to toss ‘n’ wash or make tea, is to mix kratom. Some of the most common mixers we have heard are:
- Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Milk
Mixing kratom with these has the added benefit of allowing it to be taken while minimizing the taste, however, with some of these it may take longer to digest.
Another creative method we have heard is to kratom with peanut butter to form little peanut butter balls to swallow. Nearly any decent tasting drink/mixture can be effective.
Additionally, tools such as blender bottles, commonly used for protein shakes, have been suggested for this process.
A common form of kratom preparation is by capping the kratom powder rather than taking it whole, mixed or in tea form. Kratom capsules have the benefit of being easy to use.
Buying capsules can be extremely expensive in comparison to powder. Additionally, when buying capsules you don’t really know what you’re getting, as inspecting the raw plant material powder is impossible in the capsules.
Because of this, anyone who wants to use Kratom in capsule for, it is suggested to buy a capsule machine to do it yourself.. There are a large variety of capsule tools, such as “The Capsule Machine” and “Cap m Quick”, which can make capsules in bulk.
- Flour- 2 cups
- Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Sugar- 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar- 1 cup
- Eggs- 2
- Butter- 1 stick
- Vanilla extract- 1 tbsp Chocolate chips- 1 1/2 cups
- Kratom- ??? ( I used 24 grams, made about 18 cookies)
- Pour your flour, baking soda, salt, and kratom in one bowl. Pour your white and brown sugar in the other.
- Melt your butter, pour it over your sugar, and mix it up with your trusty spoon.
- Mix your eggs and vanilla extract with your buttery sugar.
- **The amount of Kratom is up to you, my usual dose is 2.5-3 grams per dose. The recipe says 12 grams for 12 cookies was right for him. He must have had much bigger cookies!
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Combine your first bowl with your second bowl and make your cookie dough. It calls for a mixer but, I just used a spoon.
- Mix in chocolate chips. (You can use however much you want. I wanted the sweeter the better!)
- Lay cookie dough over parchment paper or lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake anywhere from 10-16 minutes. I went the full 16 because I had a lot of smaller cookies.